Monday, May 31, 2010

I should probably explain my absence of late...

Among the best explanations I've heard regarding why it's great for expats to live in Beijing is one I'll attribute to Associated Press reporter Anita Chang, who said that this city, unlike, say, New York, is full of people with diverse interests. Whereas in some places seem to breed cliques, the environment here, for whatever reason, engenders a type of well-rounded individual. Or you can say well-rounded individuals tend to thrive here. Opportunities abound.

Part of the reason I've been so busy as late is because I, along with my friend Jim, have been hosting trivia night at Souk Lounge on Tuesdays. I know, I can't believe it either. This would have happened in absolutely no other city, but here I am, one of a dozen or so hosts of trivia in Beijing. It's a fascinating subculture that I'd love to explore in greater detail in the future, but for now, many of my free hours (those that don't go to Ultimate Frisbee, etc.) are devoted to coming up with questions in the categories of Images, Current Events and Beijing Life, Music, Geography, History, Literature, Potpourri and Sports. Jim and I are about to embark on our third week as hosts, and it's going to be better than ever.

Anyway, please come check out trivia on Tuesday at Souk Lounge if you get a chance. Starts at 8 pm, but Jim and I will be there eating dinner and hanging out beforehand, so say hi if you can.

We've branded our quiz EVERYBODY GETS LAID* -- Tuesdays are the new Friday at Souk Lounge. Yeah, there's a reason for that...

Music Round, of course, is a staple in every trivia night. Here are our song choices for May 18 and May 25.

No comments: