Monday, July 13, 2009

More uploading troubles and the beauty of VPNs

According to this notice it's now possible to upload videos onto Youku with Macs, but I haven't had any success. The status bar moves all the way to 100%, but the video never shows up.



Anyone know what's up?

I've been a little obsessed recently with finding a VPN that's faster and more reliable than the current one I'm using, which isn't bad but, I'm convinced, isn't the best.

Here's the good news / bad news part:

Good news: a list of free, downloadable VPNs can be found via Radio Free Asia, including possibly the most helpful list ever assembled for the expat in China: Freegate (only free to users in China (and maybe now Iran)), UltraSurf (Wujie), Gpass, Fire Phoenix, UltraSurf (Wujie) and Garden Networks.

Bad news: most of these proxies only work for Windows.

Times like these are when I wish I would've taken the time to partition my hard drive way back when.

POSTSCRIPT: For those who are still basking in the aftermath of the Green Dam fiasco, please check out Green Tsunami, which is the Global Internet Freedom's response to Green Dam.

No comments: